Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite. – Auguste Escoffier
Happiness is hot soup on a cold day!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 3 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons Lincoln County Reserve 100% Pure Maple Syrup, plus more for brushing onto bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 lb sweet potato
- ¼ tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like some spice!)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Lay 3 slices of bacon on a greased pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C), flip once halfway through.
- Dab off any extra oil and brush maple syrup on both sides of the bacon.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes (until the bacon is crispy).
- Cut up the bacon into small pieces and set aside for garnishing the soup later.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. of butter. Add in the onion, stir, and cook on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes have softened. Add 2 tbsp of maple syrup and stir.
- Then blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend in batches until smooth and well-combined.
- Serve up and garnish with heavy cream (optional), the maple bacon, and a sprinkle of cinnamon (optional).